August 2021 has been an action-packed month for deal activities. India Inc witnessed 219 deals aggregating to USD 8.4 billion. The values have doubled compared to August 2020; transaction values have been reported to be up by 5.8x times driven by over 13x increase in private equity investments.
Tech continued to be the key sector of the month followed by education, pharma and energy sectors. The bulk of the deals were in IT solutions, data analytics, cleantech, pharmaceuticals, e-commerce, consumer retail, digital healthcare, fin-tech and ed-tech companies, whose products and services have seen strong demand during the pandemic.
Key Highlights of the publication
- 219 deals worth USD 8.4 billion
- Start-ups drove volumes in both M&A and PE deals
- Major deals reported in tech and start-ups sectors
- 37 deals worth USD 867 million reported
- IT and start-up captured 32% of the volumes worth USD 181 million
- Unicorns like Byju’s, Unacademy and Dream Sports sealed deals in August
- ReNew Power acquired a hydropower project in Uttarakhand and solar projects in Telangana for a combined value of USD 384 million
- PE and VC firms recorded 182 deals, valued at USD 7.6 billion
- Start-ups drove the PE volumes with 115 deals and 63% values
- The month witnessed the emergence of seven new unicorns – Eruditus, upGrad (edtech); BharatPe, OfBusiness and CoinDCX (fintech), Droom (autotech), and Zetwerk (retailtech).