2016 was undoubtedly a landmark year for the real estate sector in India, especially on the policy front. With the last hurdles cleared, Goods & Services Tax (GST) and Real Estate (Regulation & Development) Act (RERA) are on their way to be fully implemented. The Government of India’s demonetisation drive caused considerable turmoil; however, along with the Benami Transactions Act, it promises to bring greater transparency in the real estate sector. Domain experts, investors and consumers are looking at 2017 as the year of speedy progress. With loads of incentives, while affordable housing will get the desired attention, REITs promise to open up the real estate market to large pension funds, and retail investors.
Key takeaways from this report are:
- Key highlights from the year 2016
- Regulatory updates like the Union Budget, progress made on REITs and government initiatives to boost the infrastructure sector
- The journey of RERA
- How in the recent years the start-ups have transformed the property market
- An outlook of the M&A activity
- A snapshot of how residential and commercial markets moved in 2016
We hope you will find this report informative. Please do share your valuable feedback.